Welcome to Volunteer Ottawa’s not-for-profit staff learning path. By taking these seven workshops you will be exposed to a series of important elements that every generalist staff member at a not-for-profit organization must know. These include: exploring and gaining insights into how to successfully apply for grants; becoming more familiar with not-for-profit governance general fundamentals; addressing some sector-specific challenges in equity, diversity, and inclusion; learning how to foster successful relations between staff and volunteers; exploring the various facets of communications in the not-for-profit sector; acquiring financial knowledge foundations specific to your role. In addition, participants will be able to engage with one and other and experienced practitioners through three community of practice meetings.
Who should attend?
Generalist staff with or without extensive experience in the not-for-profit sector.
What to bring?
Workshops and communities of practice will meet live online (through Zoom), a computer with access to a reliable internet connection, plus microphone and camera are key to participate effectively in these learning opportunities.
Dates and times
Learning Path workshops and communities of practice meet Live Online (over Zoom) on Fridays from 9:00 am until noon (see details below). Start learning with VO this Fall, this learning path begins on September 16 and runs until December 16.
About the instructors
These learning opportunities will be facilitated by experienced professionals in Canada’s and Ottawa’s not-for-profit community who are members of Volunteer Ottawa’s faculty of instructors (see list below).
Registration and related policies
If you are able to see this page is because you are a Volunteer Ottawa member. In light of our Learn Together initiative, this Learning Path is being offered at no cost to VO members.*
Please click Join Now to register yourself or a member of your organization in these seven workshops and communities of practice. Each registration is restricted to one learner. You will receive confirmations to the email address provided at checkout. We will register up to two staff members of the same organization on a first-come, first-served basis.
Each Volunteer Ottawa workshop requires a minimum of three learners to be held. Workshop attendance is capped at fifteen learners per session. Individuals exceeding the fifteen participants cap will be placed on a wait list. Please keep in mind that these workshops are in high demand; if you cannot participate in a workshop you have registered for, please let us know by emailing [email protected] and we will withdraw your registration.
- Workshop (1) Friday, September 16: Bigger than the Board: NFP Staff and Effective Governance, with Nicole Gagliardi.
- Friday September 23: in-person gathering before Volunteer Expo.
- Workshop (2) Friday, October 14: Successfully applying for grants, with Tais McNeil.
- Friday, October 21: Community of practice meeting.
- Workshop (3) Friday, October 28: Theory of change, with Ken Hoffman.
- Workshop (4) Friday, November 4: Fostering effective volunteer/staff relations, with Nikkie Snagg.
- Workshop (5) Friday, November 18: Communications in the not-for-profit space, with Heather Badenoch.
- Friday, November 25: Community of practice meeting.
- Workshop (6) Friday, December 2: Equity, diversity, and inclusion in the not-for-profit sector, with Dwaine Taylor.
- Workshop (7) Friday, December 16: Finance fundamentals for not-for-profit staff, with John Gilhooly.
- Date TBC Capstone community of practice
*We estimate that the overall value of this Learning Path is $1160 ($720 for members before the introduction of Learn Together).
**Volunteer Ottawa reserves the right to modify these dates in case of force majeure events or scheduling conflicts.
Fall Learning Path for NFP Staff
$0.00 – $145.00
Learn with VO this Fall by registering to this series of eight workshops and communities of practice specifically thought for VO member organizations and their staff. Please make sure to select all the boxes below. You will be able to only register one participant per checkout.
7 Qty Available