Board Member - Serenity Renewal for Families
Serenity Renewal for Families is recruiting board members for the upcoming 2022/23 term and beyond. Lend your talents, time, and treasures to help guide Serenity Renewal for Families by overseeing the organization in a governance role and helping increase our profile in the Ottawa community. We are a small organization which has great impact on a very vulnerable population, and you can contribute to our future successful direction.
What we are seeking:
Candidates who live in the Ottawa area for the 2022-2023 term and beyond who hold experience, skill sets and competencies in one or more of the following areas:
• Diversity: We encourage all interested candidates to apply- particularly individuals from equity-seeking groups.
• Affected Community Members: We are seeking representation from members of the community who are or may have been directly or indirectly affected by addictions.
• Non-profit & Board Governance: Strong understanding of the director’s role, fiduciary duties, and the non-profit ecosystem.
• Legal, Finance & Accounting: Experience in corporate or not for profit governance, accounting and finance, to assess financial viability, financial planning, oversee funding arrangements and overall governance.
• Domain Experience/Life Experience: Experience with programs and initiatives to enhance the lives of individuals and families affected by addictions.
• Fundraising Experience: Willingness to help engage your networks to support our great cause.
• Community Involvement: Time spent volunteering or working directly with community members and organizations.
Board members dedicate approximately 4 hours per month for board activities, which includes:
• 11 board meetings per year (virtually or in-person) 2nd Tuesday of the month from 6 – 8pm
• Promotion of projects within their network and social media platforms
• 3-year renewable term
A team player with an interest in improving the wellbeing of our community and stakeholders by guiding Serenity Renewal for Families as it works to deliver effective programs and fundraising initiatives.
• Aligns with our mission and values
• An understanding of the addiction community
• Willing to accept Serenity Renewal for Families as one of their top tier charities
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
• Provide strategic leadership
• Be knowledgeable about the organization’s mission, values and programs
• Be an ambassador for the organization and promote its work in the community
• Ensure the organization’s financial viability and sustainability
• Participate in knowledge sharing and advance conversations around addictions
Governance and Management
• Commit time for regular board meetings and time outside of Board meetings to exert effort on project specific tasks
• Engage in critical thought and be committed to a vibrant future for the organization
• Prepare in advance for meetings, by reviewing and commenting on minutes and reports
• Listen actively and be thoughtful in considering issues
• Get to know other directors and build a collegial working relationship that contributes to consensus
• Actively participate in the board’s annual evaluation and planning efforts
• Understand the fiscal implications of decisions
• Ensure no conflicts of interest exist and that ethics are upheld
How will the organization benefit?
By ensuring active involvement as listed above, the organization will be more efficient and continue to impact the lives of the clients we serve.
202-2255 St. Laurent Blvd.
Share this volunteer opportunity