Causeway Ambassador - Volunteer
Causeway Work Centre is a not-for-profit agency that empowers ALL people by helping those with mental illness and other challenges find meaningful work. We have a desire to see people treated with dignity and respect. We believe that there is no limit to anyone’s potential. By leveraging their talents and abilities, we work to shift society’s perspective regarding people whose value has not yet been recognized.
As a Causeway Ambassador, you will be responsible for representing Causeway Work Centre at the Capital Pride Street Parade and other potential outreach events in the future. This role will involve sharing shifts with other volunteers during the event.
Dates: August 26th from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm and August 27th from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm (shifts are from 4-6 hours)
What will I be doing?
1. Engaging with the public: Greeting and interacting with visitors at the booth, encouraging them to participate in activities and fostering a welcoming atmosphere.
2. Providing information and creating awareness: Offering accurate and up-to-date information about Causeway Work Centre, our mission, activities, and initiatives. You will have access to informational brochures and pamphlets to distribute at the booth.
3. Answering Questions: Listen to questions from the public and respond with helpful answers. If unsure about an answer, you will direct individuals to a staff member who can assist further.
4. Assisting with sign-ups: Helping visitors sign up for our email newsletter to stay connected with our organization.
Qualifications and Skills:
– Proficiency in English
– Public speaking experience is an asset
– This position takes place outdoors, so tolerance of various weather conditions such as heat is necessary
– A person-centered approach, demonstrating empathy and understanding
– Respect for diversity, with cultural awareness and sensitivity
– A willingness to assist with booth setup and teardown, as needed.
– Knowledge of mental health, addictions, disabilities and other barriers to employment is considered an asset
Successful applicants will undergo a telephone interview and be required to attend a mandatory two-hour training session before the event. This training will provide you with more information about Causeway Work Centre and guide you on using person-first language effectively.
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
Being a Volunteer Information Ambassador can provide several benefits:
- You will develop your communication and public speaking skills which are valuable in both personal and professional life
- As an ambassador, you will engage with the public and interact with Causeway Work Centre staff, providing a chance to expand your network and build valuable connections.
- Through interactions with the public and sharing information about Causeway, you will gain a deeper understanding of employment issues and the Ottawa community.
- This position is eligible for high school community hours and after 6 hours of service provides the added benefit of receiving a letter of recommendation. These acknowledgements can further enhance your academic and career pursuits.
How will the organization benefit?
Causeway will benefit from enhanced public outreach, increased support and engagement and from increased event participation.
Training can be done online via Microsoft Teams or in the office at Causeway Work Centre - 22 O’Meara Street, Ottawa ON.
The Capital Street Parade will take place either on Bank between James and Slater or on Somerset Street between Bank Street and O’Connor Street. More details will become known closer to the date.
Share this volunteer opportunity