Check-in Callers help seniors and adults with physical disabilities who live in their own homes.
Check-in Callers telephone a variety of clients for friendly conversation and support. Eligible clients in this program desire increased social contact and benefit from the security and assurance through receiving a positive, cheerful, friendly hello over the telephone from a thoughtful and caring volunteer. Eligible clients may be on the waiting list for a suitable match in the Friendly Visiting Program. Depending on the individuals’ need to chat, individual calls may be short (2-3 minutes) or fairly lengthy (1/2 an hour or more).
– Engages clients in positive, friendly, and supportive conversation that may encompass topics of a general nature: (Past history, Work, Family life, Current events, Local activities, What’s on at the Good Companions, Favorites [food, TV, leisure activities, animals, sports, role models, books], Volunteers will not offer support, counseling, or advice on legal and/or family matters or make any promises that cannot be kept, this is not a complaint line.)
– Tracks clients’ updates noting any pertinent information or changes.
– Alerts Program Coordinator(s) immediately about any concerns or issues.
– Calls for special events.
– Debrief with Program Coordinator as necessary.
– Records and reports volunteer hours.
– Attends meetings and/or training as scheduled.
670 Albert Street, Ottawa, ON K1R 6L2
Share this volunteer opportunity