Dementia Society Gardening Volunteer
Are you a passionate gardener who enjoys getting your hands dirty and creating beautiful flowerbeds? The Dementia Society of Ottawa & Renfrew County is looking for a Gardening Volunteer to create a Reminiscing Garden at their new office location.
A “reminiscing” garden is a place where people living with dementia and their caregivers can come and relax in nature, perhaps pull a few weeds and share in conversation with others.
Primary Role and Responsibilities:
• Design a “Reminiscing” garden plan for the DSORC office – The garden design should include both structural items (such as pergolas, seating, planting boxes) as well as the plans themselves. The design should take into consideration the types of plants (perennial versus annual), shrubs, small trees, access to shade which could be provided by sun umbrellas or screening, seating, watering and maintenance once the garden has been planted.
• Act as the “lead” on preparing the garden plot, compiling a list of supplies and managing the garden design.
• Mobilize other volunteers to support the implementation of the design including.
• Solicit sponsorships and donations for materials such as plants, soil, fertilizer, mulch, raised garden beds, fencing, patio furniture, etc. from Garden Supply stores. (a detailed list will be provided)
• Adhere to the budget associated with the Reminiscing Garden.
• Create a plan for an ongoing maintenance of the garden which includes PLWD and their caregiver (new program).
Qualifications and Skills:
• Professionalism and a positive disposition
• Compassion, understanding and respectful communication
• Reliability – able to honour scheduled commitments
• Basic knowledge of DSORC programs and services (training provided)
Selected applicants will submit a volunteer application form, followed by an interview and reference check as part of the application process with the Volunteer Coordinator. Successful applicants will be provided with onboarding and role-specific training.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should complete an application form on DSORC’s website https://dementiahelp.ca/ways-to-give/volunteer/.
Share this volunteer opportunity