Director, Amethyst Board of Directors
We look forward to hearing from people who:
– Are committed to working as part of a collective
– Apply their feminism from an intersectional and anti-oppressive perspective
– Seek to share their skills and work in a creative, non-hierarchical way
– Seek to work with a diverse group of people who offer different perspectives and knowledge
– Seek to contribute to the ongoing and future success of this special organization
– Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset
Time commitment may vary depending on the committee working, but people can plan on 2-3 hours/week. The board meets monthly (3rd Monday) between September and June. Our virtual meetings are held from 5:30 to 7:00 pm. In addition, board members join committees, made up of both staff and board members. Generally, committee meetings are held virtually during the lunch hour. The committees currently active are Finance, Personnel, Bylaws, Labour Relations, Bylaws, Francophone Council, Strategic Planning and Fundraising.
Amethyst welcomes and encourages applications from members of equity-seeking groups, including women, transgender, non-binary and LGBTI people; First Nations, Métis and Inuit people; people with disabilities; and members of racialized and marginalized groups.
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
- A unique opportunity to work in a modified feminist collective environment
- Help an organization that works to empower women and gender diverse people
- Learn more about governance
- Apply and learn new skills to ensure the success of a charitable organization
- Opportunity to meet and work with a dynamic group of individuals who share similar values.
If you are looking to use and develop your skills and knowledge to support, strengthen and grow our small organization and its impact, we encourage you to apply.
How will the organization benefit?
Amethyst Women's Addiction Centre, founded in 1979, is a day treatment program providing alternative addiction treatment services to people who identify as women and/or of diverse gender identities in the Ottawa area. Our goal is to support the empowerment of people to address challenges in their relationships with substance use and gambling. Amethyst offers a variety of day treatment services (including individual therapy, group therapy, workshops and community engagement), health promotion services (community partnerships and engagement through workshops and events), community engagement and public education. We operate as a modified feminist collective to provide a range of services to our communities based on the core values of anti-oppressive practice and client-centered care. Our Board of Directors is a group of committed volunteers who work to support the organization in a variety of capacities.
We are particularly interested in individuals who can share their skills/experience/interest in the areas of HR, pay equity, fundraising and governance. In addition, board members join committees, composed of both staff and board members. Generally, committee meetings are held virtually during the lunch hour. The committees currently active are Finance, Personnel, Bylaws, Labour Relations, Bylaws, Francophone Council, Strategic Planning and Fundraising.
Position open until filled.
488 Wilbrod st., Ottawa (Ontario) K1N 6M8
Share this volunteer opportunity