The Mental Illness Caregivers Association (MICA) hosts an annual publicity and fundraising event in August of each year: Art in Strathcona Park. Event planning is complex and involves multiple people in successful planning and execution. The event is evolving and some institutional knowledge is being lost as MICA people retire.
A Master Plan developed by a skilled planner in cooperation with the event managers from MICA will reduce stress levels, deploy volunteers better and enhance the event experience for all those who participate. We expect that a first draft could be ready for review by January 31, 2023 and that MICA people will make themselves available to ensure that this deadline is met.
We expect that this event plan will be organic, improving annually with lessons learned. We are looking for an event planner who can publish the first edition of the plan and then stay with it through December 2023, declaring completion with the publication of the second edition.
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
Planning for this event will entail:
1. interviewing managers and stakeholders to gather necessary data on the event
2. identifying key milestones as event preparation develops
3. preparing a Gantt Chart (or other visual aid) to capture all of the activities necessary for a successful execution
4. interacting, as necessary, with regulators, suppliers, volunteers, exhibitors and others whose participation is essential
5. identifying areas for improvement where current planning practice is inadequate
Volunteers who seek experience in event planning, project management or community development will obtain experience that is resume ready.
How will the organization benefit?
Placing this event on a sound footing will allow MICA to grow the event while recruiting Board-level volunteers and engaging in succession planning.
Much of the work can be done virtually. Some in-person meetings will be necessary for interviews, data collection, presentations and such. These meetings will be held in public forums.
Share this volunteer opportunity