Friendly Visitor (One-to-one)
Our Volunteer Friendly Visitors are responsible for the following tasks:
– Sign-in/out in the volunteer book upon arrival/departure at the front reception desk.
– Ask recreation staff for a list of residents who would benefit from individual
visits. The Friendly Visitor may be matched with a resident to ensure matching interests for a mutually enjoyable experience.
– Ask resident(s) if they would like to have a friendly visit. During visit bring
materials appropriate for that individual resident such as a book, music, pictures, or a sweater (if you are going for a walk outside).
– During the visit, engage the resident in conversation or an activity (such as a walk, reading or writing letters, discussing current events, playing games, attending a recreation program, etc.)
– If resident becomes tired, bring them back to their room.
– Prior to leaving residents room, let them know when you will be returning.
– Notify Recreation and Volunteer Manager if your schedule changes or if
you are no longer available for friendly visits. Sometimes relationships raise issues that a volunteer would like to discuss with someone, and the Manager of Recreation & Volunteers is available for this type of discussion.
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
People who volunteer at the Lodge come from all walks of life and backgrounds and comprise an interesting and talented resource for the Residents and an on-going connection to community. Some people volunteer to fulfil a personal commitment to self, community and faith. We also welcome high school and university students who require volunteer hours for course work or admittance to post-secondary education. Together we build our Home and community here at the Lodge, and we welcome your contribution. (Students must be at least 14 years of age.)
We encourage a minimum commitment of 6 months and/or 60 hours of volunteer work to foster meaningful relationships and building a sense of community which comes from such a commitment (exceptions are students in the co-op, placement and community service programs).
How will the organization benefit?
Our Friendly Visitors enhance the quality of life and overall well-being of Residents by providing social opportunities to meet with a volunteer member of the community, which will provide the Resident with ongoing individual relationships and connections with the community.
10 Nadolny Sachs Private
Share this volunteer opportunity