Girls on the Run Ottawa Advisory Board Member
Are you passionate about gender equity and the promotion of physical activity in girls? Are you interested in empowering the next generation of girls to unlock their limitless potential?
Join the OSEG Foundation as an Advisory Board Member for Girls on the Run Ottawa!
Girls on the Run is a physical activity-based positive youth development program that uses running as a vehicle to influence positive social, cognitive, physical, emotional and psychological assets and development. Over the course of the 10 week afterschool program, girls ages 8 to 13 years old will: develop and improve competence, feel confidence in who they are, develop strength of character, respond to others and oneself with care and compassion, create positive connections with peers and adults, and make a meaningful contribution to community and society. Such life skills will prevent unhealthy and risky behaviors, such as physical inactivity and negative body image, and promote positive health outcomes (e.g., physical, mental, social, and spiritual health).
Girls on the Run believes that all girls and communities should have access to our programs. We strive to eliminate barriers to participation, to continue creating programming that engages all communities, to be intentional about staff and volunteer diversity and to promote a culture of inclusion across the organization.
Girls on the Run Ottawa is seeking community members interested in serving on our Advisory Board on a volunteer basis. The OSEG Foundation advocates for equity, diversity, and inclusion and invites and encourages all candidates to apply for this role. Priority will be given to women, Indigenous peoples, members of racialized communities, persons with disabilities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities.
General Responsibilities of a GOTR Ottawa Advisory Board Member:
• Serve as an ambassador for GOTR, exhibiting GOTR core values, continuously working to achieve the GOTR mission
• Prepare for and attend all quarterly Board meetings, relevant quarterly Committee meetings as required, and related activities and events, including seasonal 5K events, occurring twice a year
• Work to leverage networks and build connections to support volunteer recruitment
• Identify and share opportunities to support fundraising efforts to generate revenue for the program
• Build a culture of quality, inclusivity and diversity among the council and its stakeholders
• Develop positive relationships with volunteers, board members, donors, sponsors, parents, participants, media and other community members
• Keep informed about community issues relevant to the mission and objectives of the organization
• Help monitor the performance of the program in relation to its mission, objectives, core values, strategic plan, transparency and reputation
• Inform policies and programming and procedures
Share this volunteer opportunity