Join our Board of Directors and help our “Good Dogs Doing Great Work!”
We are seeking dedicated, engaged and passionate volunteers to serve on our Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors is responsible for overseeing the organization’s operations, while maintaining our commitment to the organization’s mission. This involves establishing our strategic direction, ensuring our compliance with all applicable legal requirements, and keeping our organization financially healthy.
Board members take an active role in committees, including Member Outreach, Community Outreach and Fundraising, and Strategic Planning.
General duties include:
– Promoting Ottawa Therapy Dogs’ mission and vision to donors, the community, stakeholders, and partners.
– Participating in fundraising efforts by fostering relationships, utilizing networks and attending events.
– Maintaining effective partnerships and communication with the community, the organization’s members and its stakeholders.
– Establishing organizational objectives and goals, making policy decisions, approving programs, and ensuring compliance with relevant statutes.
– Appointing committees and subcommittees from among the members (Board and membership at large), to which authorities may be delegated.
– Evaluating the organization’s work in relation to a strategic plan and making decisions on proposals made to the Board.
– Ensuring transparency in all communication to members, stakeholders and the public.
Each Director serves for a term of two (2) years.
– Board members are required to prepare for and participate in at least one (1) Board meeting per month (except in July and August), held between 6:30 and 8:00 p.m. ET.
– As the organization is limited to one full-time staff member, Board members should expect to dedicate additional time (typically up to four (4) hours) per month to advance initiatives
– Board members should also expect to contribute to and participate in two to three (2-3) Ottawa Therapy Dogs events per year.
– Board members are also expected to contribute to and participate in the Annual General Meeting, typically held in May for up to three (3) hours.
– Board members are required to pay a $25 Associate Member fee annually.
The Board of Directors currently comprises five (5) volunteer Directors, including four (4) who are designated as Officers (Chair, Vice-Chair, Treasurer, and Secretary).
With terms expiring in the next two quarters, we are eager to onboard new talent.
If supporting “Good Dogs Doing Great Work!” is of interest to you, please consider applying. No prior experience is necessary.
We look forward to receiving your candidacy, and encourage you to indicate how you feel you would contribute to the work of the Board, and what you are hoping to get out of the experience.
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
By joining the Board of Directors of Ottawa Therapy Dogs, you will gain practical and rewarding experience serving your community.
– As a Board member, you will have the opportunity to serve in a leadership position in an organization that serves others! This is an opportunity to learn more about an important cause, the people it affects, and the businesses and people in your community who support it. It feels good to make a difference and contribute professionally to a cause!
– Our Board members are not just members of the community; they are trying to make it
better! And you will feel enriched by their company and their friendship. You will increase your access to professional networks and will have the chance to attend events that you may not have had access to previously.
– Serving on our Board will expand your skill set. Just by being involved, you will learn more about marketing, governance, finance, branding, recruiting volunteers, interacting with community officials and community members, and much more!
– Board membership is an accomplishment you can communicate and promote, and it can raise your professional profile among your peers, within your organization, and across your industry. It is important to consider whether you have the time and capacity to contribute to the Board's mandate before applying.
How will the organization benefit?
Our Board members connect us to the community we serve, and bring their professional expertise and experience to their involvement with the Board.
We value the varied perspectives of our members in Board and committee discussions. We believe that having a diverse Board offers a breadth and depth of perspectives that ultimately enhance the performance of the Board and Ottawa Therapy Dogs. As such, we strongly encourage and welcome members of equity-impacted groups to apply.
Share this volunteer opportunity