Outreach Volunteer - Strong Together Project
Time Commitment: Approximately 5 hours a week over a period of 6 weeks
*plus additional time communicating online with supervisor as needed
*attending online general orientation and training as needed
Supervisor: Project Manager
Location: Location: Three different neighbourhoods – Barrhaven, Vanier, Westboro
Also virtually to complete training
The Stronger Together Project focuses on reducing the stigma associated with dementia through an awareness campaign and dementia-inclusive training sessions for businesses, organizations and individuals.
We are looking for individuals to participate in an outreach activity in 3 select neighbourhoods in Ottawa. (Barrhaven, Vanier and Westboro).
• Training for scripting suggestions will be provided to help you with the conversations with business owners.
Primary Role and Responsibilities:
• Working in pairs, you will deliver flyers to business owners in each of the selected neighbourhoods. The flyers contain information about the dementia-inclusive training for businesses. After speaking with the business owner, you will pass along any requests for training sessions to the Project Coordinator.
• Two weeks after delivering the flyers, you will make phone calls to the business owners to address any questions or concerns that they may have and pass along any requests for training sessions to the Project Coordinator. You will document the results of your outreach in an excel spreadsheet
Qualifications and Skills:
• Professionalism and a positive disposition
• Compassion, understanding and respectful communication
• Reliability – able to honour scheduled commitments
• Basic knowledge of dementia-inclusive training module (training will be provided)
• Enjoy walking in neighbourhoods – may require up to 5 kilometers of walking per day
Selected applicants will submit a volunteer application form, followed by an interview and reference check as part of the application process with the Volunteer Coordinator. Successful applicants will be provided with onboarding and role-specific training.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should complete an application form on DSORC’s website https://dementiahelp.ca/ways-to-give/volunteer/.
Share this volunteer opportunity