Job: Welcome, screen, and direct visitors at Roger Neilson House.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Welcome visitors by greeting them in a friendly and courteous manner
- Direct visitors to the appropriate area, informing the department and giving clear directions
- Be aware of safety procedures and carry through as required (i.e. be present in the main foyer at all times)
- Maintain the security of the house by following the necessary recording procedures
- Be aware of all parking regulations to inform guests, visitors and volunteers of the appropriate process
- Maintain a clean and organized desk
- Receive and record deliveries made
- Be a caring presence for family members and guests
- Assist with office related duties such as: photocopying
- Telephone work as required: calling volunteers for scheduling duties
- Ensure confidentiality of material and information related to the house and its members
- Perform other related duties, as required
- Excellent communication skills, ability to speak English and/or French (Other language an asset)
- Excellent Customer Service Skills
- Excellent understanding of pediatric palliative care
- Ability to solve problems
- Good listening and interpersonal skills
- Ability to be discreet
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Good organizational skills
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with people
Volunteer Reports to
- Coordinator of Volunteer Services
- Senior Administrative Assistant – Volunteer Services
- Online Information Session
- Online Palliative Care Training
- Buddy Training and in-house Orientation
Additional Training (Optional)
- Palliative Care Training (5 weeks x 3 hours)
- Volunteer Meetings
- 4 hour shifts/minimum 8 hours per month
- Minimum 1 year
- Support and training opportunities
About Roger Neilson House
- Roger Neilson House is an eight-bed pediatric residential hospice that welcomes families with children/youth who are living with a life limiting illness that results in increased pain and symptoms and a progressive decline of health.
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
Reception volunteers benefit from being part of a team in our pediatric palliative care hospice and enhancing their skills.
To apply, please go the volunteer page of our website to fill out the online application:
How will the organization benefit?
Roger Neilson House will benefit by having the caring and supportive greeter to screen visitors and ensure procedures are followed to keep our guests, staff and visitors safe.
399 Smyth Rd
Ottawa, ON K1H 8L2
Share this volunteer opportunity