• Operates office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of software packages (i.e. Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc.)
• Prepares presentation materials, forms, letters, etc. utilizing layout, formatting and keyboarding skills using computer
• Responds to inquiries made in person, by telephone, or in writing
• Performs databases searches to input, retrieve, and report information
• Maintains manual and computerized filing and retrieval systems for records, inventory data and manuals
• Drafts standard letters and memoranda, maintains files, prints and distributes materials, photocopies documents and sends facsimiles
• Collects, sorts, date stamps, distributes, prepares and processes forms and documents including mail, fax, statements, invoices, reports, vouchers, cheque requisitions, cash, and receipts
• Receives documents/applications, invoices/monies from the public and other levels of government and ensures accuracy and completeness. Issues/completes receipts/documentation. Receives balances and records payments and completes receipts
• Coordinates meeting room bookings and special requirements for meetings. Attends meetings, takes and transcribes minutes as required
• Prepares purchase requisitions and performs associated follow up including monitoring of contract balances, commitment levels and status of documents in accordance with divisional processes
• Directs and/or guides and/or checks work of other staff
• Monitors, orders and maintains supplies/resource materials for unit or other locations
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• Knowledge of standard office practices and procedures
• Excellent keyboarding, proofreading and data entry skills with emphasis on accuracy
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, and ability to develop solid professional internal and external work relationships with various levels of staff, other organization sand the public. Ability to write in a clear, concise and legible manner
• Good organizational skills with the ability to multitask and work in a high pressure, high volume team oriented environment with minimal supervision, working independently and cooperatively with other members of the staff
• Ability to identify and analyze problems with inefficiencies and develop effective solutions and solve problems
• Proven ability to handle confidential and sensitive information with discretion and tact – you will be working with vulnerable populations
• Must be comfortable dealing with harm reduction kits and people dealing with mental health issues
Education and Experience
• An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job
• Experience performing various clerical support duties, some of which must relate to the actual job duties
• Experience in using computerized software program which include MS Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) with experience with layout and formatting procedures for text, tables, and spreadsheets, and mail merging
• Experience in working and the management of electronic and hard copy confidential data including the set up and maintenance of paper and computer file systems
• Experience in preparing detailed correspondence, summaries, reports, statements and documentation requiring the interpretation and application of a wide range of administrative practices
• Experience providing customer services and responding to inquiries
We need a receptionist/administrator 2 to 3 days a week – Monday to Fridays – to work in reception
Please include your resume and a cover letter with your application.
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
This will give you an opportunity to maintain current skills. You will receive after 300 hrs., a letter of good standing and a reference letter for employment.
How will the organization benefit?
This will benefit the Onyx Community Services by contributing to the community of Vanier. It will help us stay organized and ready to service our community.
265 Montreal Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1L 6C4
Share this volunteer opportunity