Volunteer Services Engagement Coordinator
Shelter Movers provides moving and storage services at no cost to women and children fleeing abuse. We are the only organization of our kind in Canada, and our volunteers are no less exceptional. Every year, in collaboration with community partners, our volunteer teams contribute over 15,000 hours to support people transitioning to lives free of violence and abuse.
Shelter Movers Ottawa has been operational since September 2017. We are growing and looking to add compassionate and committed volunteers to our team.
The Volunteer Services Engagement Coordinator will have an integral role in the Volunteer Services team of Shelter Movers Ottawa. The focus of the Engagement team is to manage the onboarded volunteers’ experience as they volunteer with Shelter Movers, building on the aspects of volunteer retention and engagement in Ottawa.
– Assist with the development and implementation of volunteer engagement strategies
– Follow retention strategy developed by the National Volunteer Services team to keep volunteers engaged with Shelter Movers Ottawa.
– Measure and analyze Key Performance Indicators as set by the Volunteer Services Manager, such as days until First Move, number of moves per active volunteer per move, average frequency between volunteering.
– Plan and lead volunteer events with the goal of increasing volunteer engagement (examples of events include trivia night, movie nights, panel discussions).
– Support in the tracking of the success of engagement events.
– Improve volunteer involvement with the Shelter Movers
– Identify volunteer-related issues and reporting back to the Volunteer Services Manager
– Have regular check-ins with the Volunteer Services Manager (bi-weekly)
Essential Skills and Knowledge:
– Strong verbal and written communication skills
– Self-motivated and a positive, ‘can-do’ attitude
– High attention to detail
– Excellent interpersonal skills
– Strong ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a team
– Tact, discretion, high maturity level and good judgement
– Reliable work habits and strong organizational skills.
– An interest in a wide variety of work in Volunteer Management
– High level of comfort with engaging the public at community events
– Ability to protect client and volunteer confidentiality
– Awareness of appropriate boundaries, compassion fatigue, and self-care
– Patience, empathy, emotional intelligence, active listening skills, and ability to handle difficult conversations
– Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds
– Ability to apply an anti-oppressive lens to engaging volunteers
– A long-term interest in the Violence Against Women (VAW) sector, and Volunteer Management/Non-Profit Management
– A background in volunteer management or human resources is an asset.
– Previous experience in volunteer engagement and event planning are strong assets.
3-5 hours a week ongoing.
This is a volunteer, unpaid position.
Shelter Movers volunteers must be at least 18 years of age, complete an interview process, sign a confidentiality agreement, complete and pass a police reference check, and attend a Trauma-Informed Care Orientation session.
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
- You’ll have the opportunity to make a positive impact helping women and families transition away from violence and abuse
- You’ll gain experience in volunteer engagement and event planning, with coaching and support from an experienced professional in the field
- You’ll receive training in preparation for your role, and have access to ongoing training opportunities
- You’ll work with a great team of passionate volunteers and supporters
- After 3 months of satisfactory service, a confirmation of volunteering can be provided. After 6 months, we'd be happy to provide a personalized reference letter
Share this volunteer opportunity