Volunteer Support Facilitators
Hopewell is the leading local charity in supporting individuals struggling with an eating disorder
as well as their families and friends. We are dedicated to offering support, information, and hope
to anyone affected by eating disorders. Additionally, we engage in pre-emptive practices by
helping people understand eating disorders and the importance of healthy attitudes towards
body image, eating, and physical activity.
Facilitators are committing to run a minimum of two 6-8 week sessions at least twice within the one-year time commitment. Sessions are run one per season (i.e. spring, summer, fall, winter).
We are looking for facilitators who:
– Have a degree in a health discipline (counsellor, psychotherapist, psychologist, HAES dietitians, social workers, occupational therapists etc.)
– Previous experience facilitating support groups (mental health or eating disorder-specific group experience, an asset)
– Knowledge and understanding of eating disorders as well as recovery challenges & barriers
– Are comfortable using Zoom video platform for virtual groups OR are able to travel to the Eastern Ontario Region for an in-person group
– additional but not required: experience working with BIPOC, 2SLGTBQ+, or Larger Body support groups
How will this opportunity benefit the volunteer?
Volunteers will gain skills such as experience in mental health and eating disorder support, facilitation experience, leading a support group, and conflict resolution. We offer volunteer hours for facilitators, pre-facilitation training and support throughout the support group season. After a commitment of one year, we can offer a letter of reference to facilitators.
We hope that facilitators view this as a rewarding position and an opportunity to give back to the Ottawa community, while fighting the eating disorder crisis.
How will the organization benefit?
Many of Hopewell's support groups run thanks to the tireless work from our volunteers. By facilitating, you will support Hopewell in running our peer support groups, and supporting those who are suffering from eating disorders. Volunteers will allow us to continue to help the Ottawa community and expand programming.
Our support groups are run out of different locations across Ottawa (typically the downtown region and virtually.)
Share this volunteer opportunity